Fire Permits

Fire Permits

As a resident within the Town of Viking you are required to have a Fire Permit for:

  • Fire Pits (that do not meet BESC requirements)
  • Low Level Fireworks

Residents within the Town of Viking are allowed to have a fire pit on their property if it meets the requirements outlined by Beaver Emergency Services Commision (BESC). If the fire pit does not meet this criteria you are require to apply for a Fire Permit. Click here to view the requirements.

Please contact Beaver Emergency Services Commission to request a Fire Permit.

Box 449
4920 - 53 Avenue
Viking, AB
T0B 4N0

Ph: 780-336-3041
Fax: 780-336-3047


Be sure to check the fire ban information for your area before burning. For up to date information visit

Yes. Outdoor fire pits, outdoor fireplaces, barbecue pits or portable fire receptacles can be used to burn clean, dry, untreated wood or charcoal so long as they meet the conditions outlined by the Town of Viking fire permit bylaw.

No. As long as your fire pit, outdoor fireplace, barbecue pit or portable fire receptacle meets the conditions outlined in the Town of Viking fire permit bylaw.

Yard waste is not permitted to be burned within the Town limits. Yard waste should be composted, put in garbage bin, or transported to the Viking Waste Transfer Station for disposal.

You are required to have a means of extinguishing the fire on hand at all times while the fire is burning. A garden hose and water are sufficient.

If your neighbour's fire pit meets the conditions set out by the Town of Viking, they are permitted to have a fire in their back yard. However, the fire must not create a risk of fire or damage to persons or property, or create a nuisance. If you are concerned that a fire hazard exists, please contact the Beaver Emergency Services Commission.