The Town of Viking is seeking a dynamic and energetic Manager of Parks and Recreation. A successful candidate must enjoy working and living in a small community with convenient access to larger centers. As a welcoming community situated on an intersection with Highway 14 and Highway 36 just 134 kilometers east of Edmonton.
Visitors to the town are often surprised at the full complement of recreational amenities, which includes; an arena (Carena) with municipal library, curling rink, rodeo grounds/w track, 3 ball diamonds, and a 9 hole golf course. Viking is a vibrant and thriving community that offers an inclusive social environment and locally-owned businesses.
The Town boosts a 4 doctor medical clinic and active care 16 bed hospital, senior housing, lodge and an auxiliary care facility, playschool through to K-12 school. Affordable housing is other factor that draws families, to a safe, progressive community with lots to do.
This position would report directly to the Town of Viking, CAO, the Parks and Facilities Manager is a technical position responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the arena (Carena), sports fields, parks, playgrounds, Town green spaces, and developing trail system. A key part of this position is providing assistance to the Public Works department and Recreation/Economic development and Community Relations Director as required.
This is an unique opportunity to develop and implement best practices and have a significant impact on recreation and parks initiatives in the community. The Manager will act as a coach to the team, providing proactive leadership and supervision to technical supervisors that assist with the oversight of the divisional areas such as: Viking Carena Complex, East View RV Park, Community ball diamonds, Town’s park and natural areas. The Manager will administer health and safety programs and develop a safety culture within the team. The successful candidate will perform independently in an environment that requires ongoing creativity, proactivity and initiative to ensure that the Carena recreation facilities and programs, along with parks offerings are responsive and aligned to community needs.
The Town of Viking is looking for a candidate who must:
- Addressing day-to-day operations relating to the Town of Viking recreational facilities, park locations, green spaces and Viking cemetery.
- Providing leadership and guidance to all staff members in the department, while promoting a positive and safe working environment.
- The development and maintenance of facility, parks, and master plans to ensure that infrastructure remains sustainable.
- At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with the elected officials, his or her supervisor, staff from other agencies, and the public.
- Exercises fiscal control over multiple areas including budget development, monitoring, evaluating, reporting and taking the necessary actions to maintain and meet fiscal goals.
- Possesses exceptional multitasking skills and has the ability to successfully manage multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Be able to remain open-minded and positive.
- Be trustworthy and able to deal with confidential and/or sensitive information.
Qualifications Required for the Position:
- 5 -10 years’ supervisory or management experience, preferably within a municipal or other government setting.
- Facility Maintenance Training
- RFP Arena Operator 1 and 2
- Hold a current class 5 driver’s license
- current First Aid with CPR
- Direct experience with facility and greenspace management; Playground Inspector, Level II Arena Operator, and Level II Parks and Sports Fields Operator certifications.
- Strong computer skill set, including Microsoft Office, Strong communication (both written and verbal), and organizational skills are required.
- Experience in dealing with grants and budget creation is also required.
- Effective problem solving and project management skills and a keen interest in customer service.
- 5-10 years’ experience operating and maintaining municipal facilities
- Current Drivers Abstract
- Criminal record and vulnerable person check must be supplied