Town of Viking Council Members
- Mayor Laura Yakiwchuk
- Councilor Cindy Lefsrud
- Councilor Clinton Nearing
- Councilor Dana Ewashko
- Councilor James Buttner
To learn more about Viking Town Council, scroll down for profiles.
The positions of Mayor and Councilors are at-large elections, meaning that each person elected represents the Town as a whole and not a particular section of the Town. The Town of Viking does not have a ward system. Council Meetings are held in Council Chambers, in the Town Administration building. The open session of the Council Meeting commences @ 1800 hours and members of the public are welcome to attend. Council meeting minutes are posted to this web site once approved by Council.
It is legislated under the Municipal Government Act (MGA) that municipalities within the province of Alberta are accountable:
To provide good government, To provide services, facilities or other things that, in the opinion of Council, are necessary or desirable for all or part of the municipality, and To develop and maintain safe and viable communities.
Council has developed governance policies to ensure Council provides good government and conducts its business in compliance with legislative requirements and best practices. In addition to this policy framework, Council is required to adhere to its Procedural Bylaw. The Procedural Bylaw outlines the decision making process followed by Council.
The responsibilities of a member of Council are many. Besides attendance at regular meetings of Council, each member of Council sits on a number of Boards and Committees. These appointments may be to either Town of Viking Advisory Boards and Committees or External Boards and Committees with Regional Partners.
There are 15 boards and committees with Council-representation. Elected officials are appointed to specific boards and committees for one-year terms during the organizational council meeting held in the fall.
|Name of Board or Committee||Description|
|Beaver Ambulance Society||To provide ambulance services to member municipalities within Beaver County.|
|Beaver Municipal Solutions||To promote the advancement of related industries for waste reclamation.|
|Viking/Beaver Family & Community Support Services||To promote and facilitate use of volunteers to enhance strengthen and stabilize family and community life.|
|Viking Municipal Library||To provide comprehensive and efficient library services.|
|Beaver Foundation Management Agency||To provide accommodation in a home like atmosphere for Senior Citizens.|
|Viking Economic Development Committee||To promote, expand and enhance the economic development of the Town.|
|Facilities User Meeting||To update and coordinate the activities of the community facilities and develop a master plan for the Town’s recreation facilities.|
|Kalyna Country||To Promote Tourism in North-eastern & Central Alberta.|
|Highway 14 Regional Water Services Commission||To provide a safe, secure supply of potable water to the Communities within Beaver County.|
|Battle River Alliance for Economic Development||To pursue opportunities for growth & development through regional cooperation and collaboration.|
|Community Partners for Wellness||To provide for an exchange of information from the various helping professions within the area.|
|Beaver County Municipalities Joint Council Meeting||To discuss common issues and promote regional cooperation.|
|Beaver Emergency Services Commission||To provide Fire Protection and Emergency Management Services within the limits of the Town of Viking.|
|Beaver County Victim Services||To provide Information, Support and Referrals to Victims of Crime and Tragedy.|
Mayor Laura Yakiwchuk
- Mayor Yakiwchuk has lived in Viking since 1999.
- Has been involved in the community at various levels, including Recreation Coordinator for the Town of Viking for 11 years, personal banker at ATB for 4 years, and currently the owner/operator of Java Blossom Flowers Ltd. for 6 years.
- Sat on numerous boards and committees and is very excited to start this chapter of her life.
- Has an 11 year old son and a yellow lab
- First term on Council and as Mayor.
Councillor Clint Nearing
- Born and raised northeast of Viking on a 5th generation farm.
- Moved to Viking in 2016.
- Has served an many community groups including the Viking Lions Club, Viking Ag Society, in many positions as president, directory, treasurer and secretary.
- Volunteered on many community events, fundraising for community groups.
- This is Councillor Nearing’s second term on Council.
Councillor Cindy Lefsrud
- Councillor Lefsrud was born and raised in Edmonton, AB and moved to Viking in 1993 where she and her husband raised 5 children.
- Their children all attended and graduated from Viking School. They are blesses with 4 beautiful grandchildren.
- She has driven school bus for over 10 years, has previously operated a small catering company, worked for the government and managed different businesses.
- Previously served on council for 2 years (one as a Councillor and one as Mayor).
Councillor Dana Ewashko
- Born in Viking, raised on a farm near Innisfree.
- Moved to Prince Albert SK in 1986 where he managed a photo finishing/camera shop and then sold life insurance and investment funds
- Moved to Viking in 1999 to run his own financial and investment business.
- Completed his Certified Financial Planning degree.
- Joined the Viking Lions Club in 1999 and held the offices of Treasurer, President and now currently Vice President.
- Avid fisherman and car enthusiast.
- This is Councillor Ewashkos second term on Council.
Councillor James Buttner
- Married to Lynette and father to Braedon, Brookelynne, Cohen and Caiden.
- Owner operator of 6B Welding & Fabrication Ltd.
- Former president of the Parents Committee (Holden Sea Cadets).
- Volunteer with Cloverlodge Stampede, Viking Lions, Viking AG Society and Bruce Stampede.
- Looking forward to working with the community members and supporting businesses.
- This is Councilor Buttners first term on Council.